Go Back   The Game Homepage Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Gamer
Electric Can Opener

America2 is on a distinguished roadAmerica2 is on a distinguished roadAmerica2 is on a distinguished roadAmerica2 is on a distinguished road
Default The Overcrowded Lifeboat.

In 1842, a ship struck an iceberg and more than 30 survivors were crowded into a lifeboat intended to hold 7. As a storm threatened, it became obvious that the lifeboat would have to be lightened if anyone were to survive. The captain reasoned that the right thing to do in this situation was to force some individuals to go over the side and drown. Such an action, he reasoned, was not unjust to those thrown overboard, for they would have drowned anyway. If he did nothing, however, he would be responsible for the deaths of those whom he could have saved. Some people opposed the captain's decision. They claimed that if nothing were done and everyone died as a result, no one would be responsible for these deaths. On the other hand, if the captain attempted to save some, he could do so only by killing others and their deaths would be his responsibility; this would be worse than doing nothing and letting all die. The captain rejected this reasoning. Since the only possibility for rescue required great efforts of rowing, the captain decided that the weakest would have to be sacrificed. In this situation it would be absurd, he thought, to decide by drawing lots who should be thrown overboard. As it turned out, after days of hard rowing, the survivors were rescued and the captain was tried for his action. If you had been on the jury, how would you have decided?

Read it, it's not that long.

If you like this, I can do more if you'd like.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Gamer
Tin Can

S0 GUESS WH0 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by America2 View Post
In 1842, a ship struck an iceberg and more than 30 survivors were crowded into a lifeboat intended to hold 7. As a storm threatened, it became obvious that the lifeboat would have to be lightened if anyone were to survive. The captain reasoned that the right thing to do in this situation was to force some individuals to go over the side and drown. Such an action, he reasoned, was not unjust to those thrown overboard, for they would have drowned anyway. If he did nothing, however, he would be responsible for the deaths of those whom he could have saved. Some people opposed the captain's decision. They claimed that if nothing were done and everyone died as a result, no one would be responsible for these deaths. On the other hand, if the captain attempted to save some, he could do so only by killing others and their deaths would be his responsibility; this would be worse than doing nothing and letting all die. The captain rejected this reasoning. Since the only possibility for rescue required great efforts of rowing, the captain decided that the weakest would have to be sacrificed. In this situation it would be absurd, he thought, to decide by drawing lots who should be thrown overboard. As it turned out, after days of hard rowing, the survivors were rescued and the captain was tried for his action. If you had been on the jury, how would you have decided?

Read it, it's not that long.

If you like this, I can do more if you'd like.
sucks to be them eh?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Gamer
Power Drill
Better than 5.23% Better than 5.23% Better than 5.23%

DarkAssassin is infamous around these partsDarkAssassin is infamous around these partsDarkAssassin is infamous around these partsDarkAssassin is infamous around these parts

.... if it was say, a cruise ship, i'd take any crew and myself and jump overboard, leaving the passengers to live.

if it was like, a crab fishing ship or something, i'd tell everyone the situation and ask for volunteers, then those who have little/no family would go next, then those with the least likeliness to live. those will illnesses or who are wounded severely from the crash.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Gamer
Electric Can Opener

America2 is on a distinguished roadAmerica2 is on a distinguished roadAmerica2 is on a distinguished roadAmerica2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAssassin View Post
.... if it was say, a cruise ship, i'd take any crew and myself and jump overboard, leaving the passengers to live.

if it was like, a crab fishing ship or something, i'd tell everyone the situation and ask for volunteers, then those who have little/no family would go next, then those with the least likeliness to live. those will illnesses or who are wounded severely from the crash.
It's not what you'd do, it's how you'd decide if the captain was guilty or not guilty of trying to kill his passengers.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Gamer
Power Drill

TaliBaNatioN has a spectacular aura aboutTaliBaNatioN has a spectacular aura aboutTaliBaNatioN has a spectacular aura aboutTaliBaNatioN has a spectacular aura aboutTaliBaNatioN has a spectacular aura about

People are stupid.

"Kill one to save a thousand"

Wouldn't you do the same?

---~:-:~> Avatar by *Mystic <~:-:~---
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Gamer
Electric Can Opener

FistBump is on a distinguished roadFistBump is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to FistBump

Captian should have been found innocent. His idea was smart.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Gamer
Power Drill
Better than 5.23% Better than 5.23% Better than 5.23%

DarkAssassin is infamous around these partsDarkAssassin is infamous around these partsDarkAssassin is infamous around these partsDarkAssassin is infamous around these parts

in that case, guilty but unpunished. he doesnt deserve to be prosecuted, but i doubt he handled it the best he could've.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Gamer
RoboSapien
Better than 96.15% Better than 96.15% Better than 96.15%

Jackinthebox has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Jackinthebox

To be honest, he was just trying to save his own butt.
He came up with the idea yes, but if saving oh so many people was important, he should have been one of those to drown.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Banned
Air Conditioner

Blinx is on a distinguished roadBlinx is on a distinguished roadBlinx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliBaNatioN View Post
People are stupid.

"Kill one to save a thousand"

Wouldn't you do the same?
Kill Taliban Man, save Skittles, FistBump, Kath, Chad.c, Almoglo, Dforce, excl, G.O.M., jaykit, luis, MattE and ShadowMario?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Gamer
Power Drill

excl will become famous soon enoughexcl will become famous soon enoughexcl will become famous soon enough

Aren't you talking about the Titanic except with a different year?

Thanks Tali for above
lol invisible text

(>^_^)>